Sacred Heart Hospital was established in Garrett, in northeast Indiana, in 1902 by Father August Young, according to a post by the Ekhart Public Library in nearby Auburn.
According to a newspaper article, the grotto was built in 1940 and 1941.
The Sacred Heart Hospital closed in 1959, served as a community hospital until 1974, was an apartment building until it was listed on the Register of Historic Places in 1984, and now provides affordable senior housing.
The grotto and garden fell into disrepair for forty years and were eventually deeded by the property developer who owned the building to the St. Joseph Catholic Church only a block away. The grotto has been beautifully restored and was re-dedicated in 2003. Today the grotto and gardens are maintained by church volunteers.